We receive compensation for some links on this blog and are always grateful if you use these links to support our content. Any opinions expressed in this post are our own, and have not been reviewed, approved, or endorsed by our advertising partners. You can read more about us and why we think "business travelers have a unique perspective on flying and life".
Fans headed to the college football classic Red River Shootout (better known in theses parts as Texas/OU Weekend) take note. Texas and Oklahoma both have higher rates of heart disease compared to national statistics.
Some might equate this to the coronary-inducing performances of both teams at times. Or it might be the unequivocal love of fried food in both states.
Either way, the State Fair of a Texas means two things for residents on either side of the Red River – a storied football matchup AND a new assortment of fried food to try. There is a reason that the State Fair has trademarked the phrase “Fried Food Capital of Texas”.
With ten days left to enjoy the fair, there is still plenty of time to work your way into a new pant size.
Here are a few of the new entrants that caught my eye this year, should you dare:
* Fried Gulf Shrimp Boil (winner of this year’s “Best Taste” at the Big Tex Awards for new foods) – shrimp, red potatoes, onion, lemon, and fish fry seasonings wrapped around a shrimp and deep fried, served with remoulade sauce.
* Fried Sriracha Balls – chicken, corn, green chilies, tomatoes, and Sriracha mixed together and rolled in crushed tortilla chips, flash fried, and served with more Sriracha on request.
* Chicken Fried Loaded Baked Potato – potato insides mixed with generous amounts of butter, bacon, and cheddar cheese are battered and served with ranch dipping sauce.
* Hot Soul Cake – deep fried chicken bite, seasoned with Fairy Dust (a savory seasoning), stuffed with cream cheese into a vanilla-infused cupcake, dipped in waffle batter, and fried – then sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with a cream cheese glaze.
* Fried Chocolate Maple Bacon Amazeballz – chocolate cake with chocolate frosting, maple syrup, and bacon pieces rolled into balls and deep fried. Served dusted with powdered sugar, chocolate & maple syrup, and bacon crumbles.
and don’t forget to wash it down with…
* Original State Fair Brew – a funnel cake flavored English-style summer ale served with a powdered sugar rim
The great State Fair of Texas runs through October 19 at Fair Park in Dallas.
The Red River Shootout between the University of Texas and the University of Oklahoma kicks off at 11 am on Saturday October 11 at the Cotton Bowl.