We receive compensation for some links on this blog and are always grateful if you use these links to support our content. Any opinions expressed in this post are our own, and have not been reviewed, approved, sponsored, or endorsed by our advertising partners unless otherwise specifically noted.
Don't miss our "21 Must-Have Essentials for Summer Travel" for 2017.
I am kind of obsessed with the concept behind Pack Up + Go, the surprise trip company.
Yes… surprise trip.
As in show up at the airport and “guess what? we’re going to Denver this weekend!” kind of surprise trip.
It just seems fun. And I’ve always wanted to do this. But when you are me and have OCD, the idea of being on the receiving end of something like that is a bit terrifying. Because who is going to do the work and how many things could go horribly wrong?
Well guess what? There is a company for that.
Here’s how it works:
- Decide if you are going solo or going with someone.
- Choose to drive yourself or take transport (plane, train, or bus).
- Set a per-person budget (can range from $400 to $5,000 for a three-day trip depending on the circumstances – solo/deux and mode of transport).
- Pick a departure date at least two weeks in the future.
- Share any time restrictions (“can’t leave before” or “must be back by”, for example).
- Provide the last 3-5 US trips you took for leisure purposes (so they don’t duplicate recent adventures).
- Share any upcoming US trips you have planned (for the same reason).
- Complete a brief survey including your preferences for activities, dietary restrictions, planned celebrations, and normal activities (i.e. are you a business traveler?)
- Provide your personal information (including TSA Known Traveler number) for booking.
That’s it! They do the rest of the work.
About a week before the trip, you receive an email with a few key items. Those include a weather forecast, recommended packing list, any luggage restrictions, and instructions on where/when you will depart.
A few days before departure, you will receive an envelope in the mail with everything you need for your destination. BUT… don’t open it yet. Go to your location at the designated time (i.e. LaGuardia at 3:00 pm on Friday) and open your envelope. When you do, you’ll find out where you are headed. The envelope will also include a destination guide with directions to the accommodations that have been booked/paid as well as a city guide curated based on your survey preferences.
We are dying to take the plunge and do a surprise trip with Pack Up + Go this year. Their testimonials are great and the destinations reported all look like places we’d enjoy spending a weekend.
If this sounds like something you too would like to try, Pack Up + Go is giving away the Ultimate Travel Package in their travel sweepstakes. Enter by 11:59 pm EST on April 28, 2017 for a chance to win the following travel essentials package:
• 50% off your surprise vacation with Pack Up + Go ($650+ value)
• Two Ostrich Pillows ($90 value)
• Two Welly bottles with two Welly filters ($94 value)
• Two sets of Bedphones ($80 value)
• Two Bomber and Co. duffle bags ($290 value)
• Two pairs of sunglasses and bamboo cases from I Thought Of You ($112 value)
•Two pairs of pants from Public Rec. ($190 value)
You can also like each company’s social media channels and refer your friends for additional entries! The winner will be selected randomly on April 29th.
Have you tried a surprise trip? Or would you? We’d love to hear about it!